The very loveable but mischievous puppy Patches

Patches – Story of the Month – May 2020



The very loveable but mischievous puppy Patches presented to Dr Tanya after ingesting some delicious chocolate. Patches was immediately given medication to make him vomit and up came the chocolate – foil and all!



Unfortunately chocolate toxicity is not uncommon in dogs. The toxic components of chocolate are theobromine and caffeine. Depending on the type of chocolate and how much is ingested, the following symptoms can occur:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Racing heart rhythm progressing to abnormal rhythms
  • Death in severe cases



It takes nearly four days for the effects of chocolate to work its way out of a dog’s system. If the chocolate was only just eaten, it is possible to induce vomiting; otherwise, hospitalization and support are needed.


Thanks to the quick actions of Patches owners he avoided becoming very unwell. He was back bouncing around in no time at all 🙂

Posted in Uncategorised.