Silas is a very handsome 2 year old Maremma with some very bad luck!
Silas was bitten by a venomous snake, and presented to see Dr Tanya for treatment. On examination he showed signs of weakness, loss of bladder function, an inability to swallow normally and had a prolonged clotting time of his blood. He was treated with snake antivenom through his drip, which neutralises the circulating venom in the blood. Silas had received such a large amount of venom that he required 2 vials of the antivenom! He made a good recovery following this.
Unbelievably, Silas presented to Dr Jaime just 4 days later, showing the exact same symptoms! Silas had been the extremely unlucky recipient of a second snake bite within a week! With another day of intensive care in hospital and another vial of antivenom, Silas made yet another full recovery.
Silas has been an absolute fighter and has beaten the odds. He is now making a great recovery.
Snakes are all too common in the local area at this time of year. To help reduce the risk of a snake bite on your property keep the grass low, clean up any rubbish piles and clear away objects where snakes may be able to hide (e.g. wood piles, under sheets of corrugated metal).
If you suspect your pet has been bitten by a snake please seek immediate veterinary attention. The sooner treatment is started the better chance of survival for your pet. If MHVC is closed, do not wait, familiarise yourself with the emergency 24 hour clinics and immediately present there for treatment.